Do you sell products on Etsy? Are you using tags to help increase sales? Etsy has over $1 billion dollars in annual revenue. It’s also one of the most popular ecommerce platforms online. But how do you get noticed on Etsy? And how do you make sure your product gets sold? Are Etsy tags the answer? We’ll take a closer look in this post.
Creating Etsy tags for your products is a must and one of the most under-used features of the platform. Tagging helps sellers find each other and connect with buyers as well as rank better in Etsy search results. In fact, even Etsy says that “tags are the key to finding new customers.”
- What Are Etsy Tags and How Do They Help Me Find New Customers?
- Finding the Best Etsy Tags To Gain Exposure for Your Products with Etsy SEO
- Etsy Tags and Etsy Keywords Are Not the Same
- Etsy Tags Help You Rank Better in Etsy Search Results and Reach a Broader Market
- Brainstorming Ideas to Create Etsy Tags for your Listings to Attract Buyers
- Repeating Keywords in Etsy Tags Unnecessarily is Actually a Mistake
- Don’t Misspell Words or Add Plurals in your Listing Tags The Search Algorithm is Smarter Than That
- Etsy Tags May Not Be Grammatically Correct
- Keyword Prominence in your Etsy Tags and Product Description
- Keyword Research Tools That Can Help with Creating Etsy Tags
What Are Etsy Tags and How Do They Help Me Find New Customers?
Etsy tags are an essential part of your Etsy shop’s success and really just a list of keywords that are related to your products or services. When used correctly and strategically, these essential keywords can help you reach more customers and boost sales. Here is a guide to using Etsy tags for more sales and profit:
1. Understand What Etsy Tags Are: Etsy tags are strong keywords that help buyers find your product in search results on the platform. They show up alongside other descriptive information about your listing such as title, description, and materials used.
2. Choose Relevant Keywords: To get the most out of your tags, make sure that each tag accurately describes your product and appeals to potential customers’ needs and interests. Consider what words a customer might use when searching for items like yours, then add those terms to your tags. Try to keep your buyer in mind when choosing keyword terms for your tags.
3. Utilize Variations: Don’t be afraid to include different versions of the same keyword in your tags. For example, if you’re selling a handmade scarf, use variations like “scarf,” “handmade scarf,” and “knitted scarf” as tags. You can also utilize longtail keywords for your tags.
4. Research Competitor Tags: By looking at what keywords top-selling competitors are using, you can gain valuable insight into which terms will be most effective for you to use. This can help ensure that customers searching for items similar to yours find your product instead of theirs.
5. Keep Your Tags Updated: Over time, customer interests and terminology evolve, so it’s important to review your Etsy tags periodically and update them if necessary. Doing so will help you maintain relevance and keep your shop visible in search results.
By following these guidelines, you can optimize the use of Etsy tags to get more sales and profits for your Etsy shop.
Finding the Best Etsy Tags To Gain Exposure for Your Products with Etsy SEO
When creating a shop on Etsy, one of the most important aspects to consider is the tags you use to describe your products. Tags are words or phrases that customers enter into the Etsy search bar when looking for items. The more relevant and specific your tags are, the easier it will be for customers to find your shop, resulting in more views and sales.
Creating effective tags can be tricky as there are some best practices to keep in mind. Here are five tips for finding the best Etsy tags for your shop:
1. Use keywords that accurately describe your item – Choose keywords that customers would actually use when searching for an item similar to yours. This could include material type, colors, style, occasion and other descriptive words related to the item.
2. Use multiple tags per product – Having 20 relevant tags will help ensure that customers are able to find your shop when searching for different keywords or phrases related to your products.
3. Don’t use too many unnecessary words – Choose only words that accurately describe the item and avoid using taglines, quotes or other unrelated words as they won’t help customers find your shop in search results.
4. Research competitor tags – Look at the tags used by competitors in similar categories to see what works best and can be applied to your products. This can help you get an idea of which keywords are popular with buyers and are worth including in your own tags.
5. Consider expanding to other languages – If you have international customers, consider creating tags in the language of their countries. This can help increase your visibility and sales significantly.
Etsy Tags and Etsy Keywords Are Not the Same
When it comes to optimizing your Etsy shop for success, understanding the differences between tags and keywords is an essential part of the process.
Tags are words or phrases that you choose to categorize and organize your products within Etsy’s search engine. They help potential customers find your items more easily by using natural language terms rather than technical ones.
Tags should be accurate, concise, and unique to your product – for example, if you sell handmade soaps, some appropriate tags might include ‘handcrafted soap’ or ‘natural skincare’.
The key here is finding a balance between descriptive enough so that shoppers can find what they need quickly but not too generic as to get lost in the results.
Etsy Tags Help You Rank Better in Etsy Search Results and Reach a Broader Market
Etsy tags can help you get noticed in the crowded marketplace. Your Etsy tags can be used to draw customers to your store and products, so it’s important to take advantage of this feature.
Brainstorming Ideas to Create Etsy Tags for your Listings to Attract Buyers
Creating the right tags for your Etsy listings is essential to getting your products seen on the platform. After all, if no one sees your products for sale on Etsy, no one is going to buy them. Tags help potential customers find your items using searches on the platform, and they provide a great way to reach out to new audiences.
There are a few simple steps you can take when creating tags for your Etsy listings:
1. Think about the keywords that best describe the product: Make sure to use terms that buyers may be searching for. Consider using words that accurately describe the product’s features, colors, size, style, etc. Be as specific as possible – this will allow users to easily find what they’re looking for!
2. Research how others are tagging their products: Take some time to look at what other sellers are tagging their products with. This will give you a better idea of what kind of terms people are likely to be searching for when they’re shopping on Etsy.
3. Include product-specific tags: Be sure to include any product-specific tags that could help customers find your listings more easily. For example, if you sell jewelry, you might use tags such as “handmade jewelry” or “sterling silver earrings.”
4. Consider using popular tags: Popular tags are often used by shoppers to search for products on Etsy, so it can be beneficial to your Etsy SEO to add these into your listing tags too. Some examples of popular tags that buyers may use include “gift ideas” and “unique gifts.”
5. Stick to the basics: Try not to get too creative with your Etsy SEO and tags – stick to a variety of keywords that accurately describe the item you are selling. This will help make sure your product is easy for buyers to find on Etsy. It’s important to try and match the search query of what real shoppers use to find a product like the one you are selling.
Repeating Keywords in Etsy Tags Unnecessarily is Actually a Mistake
When it comes to optimizing your Etsy tags, repeating keywords is not necessary and in fact can have a negative effect on your shop because it may appear to be keyword stuffing. Repeating the same keyword multiple times in a single tag or across multiple tags can lead to the search algorithm considering you to be spamming them with unnecessary information and may even result in lower placement in search results for those particular words.
On the other hand, adding additional related words that are closely associated with the item you’re selling will help ensure better visibility of your product such as when you use long-tail keywords in your product listings and Etsy tags. It also helps customers find exactly what they’re looking for without having to scroll through pages of irrelevant listings.
For example, if you’re selling vintage jewelry, you might use terms like antique, copper, classic, and timeless to help describe the product. And if your products are specific to an area be sure to use regional phrases in your list of tags. Keyword efficiency is important and finding effective keywords will likely be an ongoing process for your Etsy search engine optimization.
When it comes to writing effective tags, it’s important to be strategic and choose words that are closely related to your item or even an exact phrase that would be used in the search box on Etsy. Using too many unrelated keywords will result in a tag that looks spammy and may lead customers away from your listing instead of towards it. Additionally, avoid using overly generic phrases like “pretty” or “cute” as those terms do not necessarily add value for the customer or for search engines.
Don’t Misspell Words or Add Plurals in your Listing Tags The Search Algorithm is Smarter Than That
Mistakes like misspelling words or adding plurals can make it difficult for potential customers to find your products on Etsy. Make sure all of the tags that you add to each listing are spelled correctly and do not include any unnecessary plural forms.
This will help ensure that customers looking for specific items can easily find your shop and buy your products. Additionally, having accurate spelling in your tags will also make it easier for search engines to index your listings, which may lead to more sales.
Taking a few extra minutes to double-check every tag you create could be the difference between success and failure in an online business! So don’t forget to get those tags right!
Etsy Tags May Not Be Grammatically Correct
Etsy tags are a way for sellers to help shoppers find their product listings more quickly, and so it goes without saying that they should be chosen carefully and use as many descriptive keywords as possible. By using the right words and phrases, customers can get the best search results when searching for specific items on Etsy. These keywords don’t need to be grammatically correct as well. Such as using hyphens may not be a good idea and can confuse the search algorithm. Try to think about search terms that shoppers will use to find products and include that in your Etsy tags and product titles for best results.
It’s important to note that while correct grammar isn’t necessary with Etsy tags, you do need to make sure all of your keywords are relevant and accurate in order to ensure successful searches. For example, if you are selling jewelry, adding “jewellery” as an alternate spelling may seem like a good idea; however, this could actually lead to potential customers not being able to find your item as easily.
Another key point to consider when crafting your Etsy tags is accuracy; since buyers are looking for specific items, it’s important that all of your tags accurately describe the item you’re selling. For example, if you are selling a pair of earrings, make sure to include “earrings” in the tag rather than just “jewelry” or something else more general. This will help customers get the best possible search results when finding what they need.
Keyword Prominence in your Etsy Tags and Product Description
When you use keywords in your Etsy tags, it should be one of the first words that appear when someone is searching for items like yours. This will help ensure that your item stands out and gets seen by as many people as possible. Proper placement of keywords in your Etsy Tags is key to getting noticed by buyers looking for specific items or products.
The best way to optimize keyword prominence in your Etsy Tags is to make sure that the keywords are placed near the beginning of the tag. This will ensure that they are more prominent and easier to find when a buyer searches for those terms. Additionally, think about using multiple variations on a keyword so that you have better chances of appearing in more search results. For example, if you’re selling jewelry, use phrases like “Earrings” and “Statement Earrings” to increase your chances of being found when someone searches for either term.
When creating your tags to attract shoppers, avoid using too many words as this can clutter and confuse potential buyers. Instead, focus on ensuring that the keywords appear prominently near the beginning of each tag and that any variations are clearly differentiated from one another in order to make it easier for people to find what they’re looking for when using the search bar on Etsy. Lastly, take some time to research relevant keywords and popular keyword phrases related to your item and include those as well so that you can capture more attention from buyers who might not have otherwise considered your product.
Keyword Research Tools That Can Help with Creating Etsy Tags
One of the best keyword tool that can be used to create Etsy tags and get a wide variety of related keywords when it comes to Etsy is KeySearch. Although KeySearch is a paid SEO tool that includes Etsy related products, keywords, etc. It is quite affordable with a monthly payment of less than $15. Annual plans are even less. You can check it out here.
How do I maximize my tags on Etsy?
To maximize your tags on Etsy, start by ensuring that each of your products have at least five tags. These should include words that describe the product, as well as any relevant synonyms. Choose words and phrases that are likely to be used in search terms associated with the item you’re selling.
Should Etsy tags be one word?
This is a common question that comes up when trying to optimize listings for search. Generally, it’s best practice to use multiple words in your Etsy tags so you can be as specific and descriptive as possible. Using one-word tags makes it difficult for buyers to find what they’re looking for, as they may not know the exact term or phrase related to the product they’re searching for.
Should Etsy tags have spaces?
It’s a common question for Etsy sellers, and the answer isn’t as straightforward as you might think. While some people may tell you that spaces should never be used in Etsy tags, the truth is that there are times when using spaces can actually benefit your shop.
Do Etsy tags have to make sense?
Yes, tags should make sense to customers who are searching for a particular item. It is important to use descriptive tags that accurately describe the product you are selling. This will make it easier for customers to find your product when they are looking for something specific. Etsy also has guidelines about which tags you can use, so make sure you are using tags that are allowed on the platform.