If you’re like most people who regularly visit the Internet, then you’re probably an avid social media user. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram are mostly used for connecting and sharing content with people within your social circle or those with similar interests.
However, freelancers, social media consultants, and marketers earn money by using these platforms for improving the reach of companies or agencies. The problem most people have when they want to start a social media career is they don’t know how to find social media jobs from home or where to even start.
Due to the increased unemployment rate across the world, many job hunters are refactoring their searches to social media jobs from home. For most people, it’s a no-brainer considering the freedom that this kind of job offers such as the opportunity to work remotely. And with little training, you can learn to employ your knowledge of popular social media platforms to begin making money from home, regardless of if you’re looking for a full-time or part-time job.
What do social media workers do?
The majority of social media jobs involve building and monitoring the active engagement of followers/fans for all kinds and sizes of businesses.
Many entrepreneurs and companies have come to understand the power of social media and they are looking to hire individuals who can harness it for their benefit. These employed consultants are charged with the responsibility of posting engaging content at the best possible time. They will also have to draw relevant followers to the various accounts of their clients across platforms by creating content and commenting on forums/chat rooms.
Asides from that, social media consultants handle bookmarking submissions and placement. They may be charged with proofreading and scheduling the content to be posted. Considering how strenuous it can be to do all that across multiple platforms (Twitter, Facebook, TikTok, LinkedIn, etc.), most organizations reward the social media consultants handsomely.
And since most social media jobs are remote, they are common work at home jobs that anyone can do from anywhere as long as there is an internet connection.
Finding Social Media Jobs Isn’t Easy…
However, getting a social media job from home can prove to be a hassle for most people, especially with the increased number of freelancers (from other countries) who would work for less than the minimum wage.
Not just that, but you may struggle with marketing/branding yourself as a social media consultant which is crucial for helping employers find you. That’s why learning how to find social media jobs from home is so important.
Besides, there have been reports of job hunters who have fallen for scams targeted at people searching for how to find social media jobs from home. Despite all the challenges, you can get a job as a social media marketer with little experience by following the tips that will be discussed in this write-up. Here they are;
Tips for finding a social media job from home
Apply at your current job for a telecommuting position
If you’re currently working an office social media job, then you’d be wise to check if you can covert your position to a telecommuting one. For this, you will need to draft and submit a telecommuting proposal to your employers.
However, do some research and check the company’s policy on telecommuting positions before turning in the proposal. Your proposal should include a well-drawn and flexible work plan. It should also inform the company of the cost of requiring someone else if you decide to leave.
Research companies that hire social media consultants
There’s a host of companies out there who are in the business of hiring social media marketers or website managers.
Here are some of those corporations;
- ModSquad: is a platform that hires social media moderators that want to work remotely. ModSquad accepts people to join their team of professionals that help companies manage their online presence. As a moderator here, you’ll be tasked with monitoring social media channels and websites. You’ll also be interacting with the customers of your clients via chats and forums.
- eaHELP: This company is always on the lookout for social media assistants who will help brands manage and implement their social media campaigns. This company has been in the business of improving online presence for its clients for over a decade now. If you’re a self-motivated person who’s proficient with several computer programs, then eaHELP might be right for you.
- Yelp: While their ‘community’ manager positions are restricted to only people from specific locations, Yelp is another platform where you can get a remote social media job. You should also note that their job is only part-time. Plus, you can find prospects when searching for how to find social media jobs from home once you’ve branded your company.
- Time Etc.: You can get a job as a social media assistant with this virtual assistant corporation. Time Etc has a growing list of clients in need of experts who can promote their businesses using different channels. As a worker with this company, you’ll be given tasks like tweeting, retweeting, and writing Facebook posts. While you may be required to work during normal working hours for the clients, this job opportunity offers a lot of flexibility for people looking to work from home.
- Appen Butler Hill: This International company offers an interesting selection of remote jobs that operate on a flexible schedule. They hire social media managers, transcribers, translators, and search engine evaluators to help make the news feeds of their clients more relevant. You should qualify for their positions as long as you use social media daily, work independently, and can communicate properly.
- Mediabistro: This platform offers a range of social media jobs to people who can write well to engage different audiences and increase the online presence of companies. Depending on the value you provide to clients, you may work as a social media director, consultant, or manager.
- Crisp Thinking: If you reside in the US or UK, you may be able to get a social media job on Crisp Thinking. All you need to start is a laptop with a minimum of Windows 7 or an updated PC, and you can earn up to 15$ per hour on entry-level.
Some several other platforms and companies hire social media marketers, consultants, and directors. They include;
Find jobs on job boards
When looking for a social media job from home, you may need to use job boards to pinpoint job openings that would be otherwise difficult to research.
Sites like Indeed and Flexjobs are great job boards that you can for getting complete job descriptions on opportunities that you may qualify for. Although you’re looking for a position as a social media manager or marketer from home, you will be better off searching with synonymous tags such as:
- Social Media Specialist
- Social Media Coordinator
- Digital Coordinator
- Social Media Strategist
- Marketing Coordinator
- Marketing Associate
You can also use these tags for looking for jobs on freelancing platforms like Upwork, although it’s likely that their market would be saturated with equally qualified applicants that will do the job for minimal pay.
Create your social media management brand
If you don’t get a job on any of the platforms mentioned so far, then you could just create one for yourself. Basically creating your own social media marketing agency. Many users think it’s a better side hustle than searching for jobs related to social media.
You can use your social media channels to form your brand. It’s however not as easy as it sounds. Just like with other businesses, you’ll need to research the best practices and fulfill all financial and legal obligations before launching.
One other thing you’ll need to do before kicking off your social media management business is deciding your brand’s niche. While you can offer a generalized service, you will earn money from high-quality clients by choosing a specialty. Make sure it’s in line with your interests, passions, and experiences.
To attract relevant clients to your home business, you can build your online presence by starting a blog or website. Not only will this platform showcase your works and testimonials of pleased clients, but it will also give your brand a professional look. Also, you’ll need to market your brand to prospects daily till you have a consistent flow of clients. For more effective results, you’re advised to employ a minimum of two methods for promoting your social media management brand.
You should also invest more in your brand when you begin to generate income. Although you may have tasted success, you will likely need to keep up with trends of social media marketing if you want to continue making your clients happy.
The internet is filled with several useful materials like books and online courses that will fit a wide range of budgets. Depending on your chosen niche, you can also attend conferences, events, coaching sessions, and mastermind groups that will equip you with updated knowledge on the world of social media marketing.
What if You’re New to Growing a Social Media Channel
If you’re a beginner social media marketer and you don’t really know where to start or what to do when it comes to promoting a business it’s best to start with a paid course. Most of the stuff you’ll find online may not be up to date or it simply doesn’t work. Instead, save a lot of time and opt for the Social Media Rockstar course which teaches you how to grow a channel fast and outlines exactly what you’ll need to do. Click here to learn more about Social Media Rockstar.
Finding a social media job from home can be daunting for anyone. With the information in this article, however, you will be able to make progress in your social media consulting or marketing career.
As long you’re proficient with the navigation of the popular social media platforms and have an impressive work ethic, you should get a job at any of the platforms mentioned in this write-up. You also have the option of creating your marketing brand in the case where you don’t get hired at any agency or company.
While it’s the more stressful and expensive option, you stand to earn more money by developing a successful social media consulting company.
If you’re just starting out having a blueprint and details about what to look for can certainly help. I would recommend the following course to teach you more in-depth structure and how to land those social media jobs faster. Check out this course to learn more.